The North Kansas City YMCA is proud to offer a New American Welcome Center (NAWCs ). NAWCs at Ys across the country help immigrants—also referred to as newcomers—integrate into American society and help communities be welcoming and inclusive. This is achieved through a combination of integration services, collaborations with community leaders and businesses, and strategies to connect and build cross-cultural understanding between immigrants and U.S.-born residents.
Through the NAWC and other efforts, the North Kansas City YMCA has:
- Organized more than 20 regional bridge-building and welcoming week events
- Helped more than 50 people graduate from the English as a Second Language program
- Helped immigrants pursue their dreams of becoming American citizens including hosting a naturalization ceremonies
- Supported new Americans and others in our community through food distribution programs, helping to prevent hunger for those unsure of where their next meal will come from. So far in 2021, the North Kansas City YMCA has distributed 125,594 pounds of food to a total of 9,978 individuals to help fight hunger.
- Promoted inclusion, dignity and equality throughout all of our programs
For more information, visit the North Kansas City YMCA or call 816.300.0531.