The Y counts on generous volunteers who donate their time and talents to strengthen our community. Y volunteers provide direct support to programs, raise needed funds, support special events, and provide leadership by serving on Community Mission Boards and the Board of Directors. Take a look at our volunteer Project Catalog or explore the many ways to make an impact as a volunteer at the Y.View our Project Catalog
Ways to Volunteer
More than 3,600 volunteers perform countless duties across our organization, ensuring that men, women and children of all ages and from all walks of life have the resources and support they need to be healthy, confident, connected and secure. Here are just a few ways volunteers make a difference at the Y:
- YMCA Challenger Buddies assist and support athletes in our Adaptive/Challenger program for individuals with special needs.
- Coaches are positive role models and leaders who teach kids the Y Core Values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility through youth sports.
- Adult Achievers serve as professional role models for the Young Achievers program. The Y Achievers program encourages underserved high school youth to set and achieve high educational and professional goals.
- Community Mission Board members improve Y locations by helping with program innovation, fundraising, events, and community involvement. Visit or contact your Y location to get involved.
- Child Care and Education volunteers share their time to be positive role models, assist teachers, collect resources for children and their families, and educate children by sharing their unique talents.
- Youth Volunteer Corps of Greater Kansas City, hosted by the Y, is a unique opportunity for ages 11-18 to give their time in service projects to make the community stronger.