The Fred and Shirley Pryor YMCA Challenger Sports Complex is designed for young athletes with physical, developmental and intellectual disabilities, and includes the only all-accessible fields in the Kansas City area.
2100 NW 87th Terrace
Kansas City, MO 64154
(Near 152 Highway and Platte Purchase Road)
The complex currently consists of the Mark Teahen Challenger Baseball Field, the Trent Green Family Field, American Family Insurance Field and an accessible playground. The first phase opened in fall 2010 and the Trent Green Family Field and accessible playground debuted in the fall of 2013.
Facilities at the complex offer a number of accommodations:
- A synthetic rubber surface with flat bases on the baseball field for wheelchairs and other mobility devices.
- A dugout with no stairs or curbs.
- Synthetic grass turf for soccer and flag football offering a level, flat surface.
- A playground with ramps, accessible equipment, gliders, pods specially designed to appeal to children on the autism spectrum, a smooth rubber surface and other accessible features.
- A fully accessible parking lot with no curbs going into the complex.
- Fully accessible restrooms.
As our athletes have grown and developed new skills, so have the needs of the complex. The existing fields continue to serve our athletes especially our younger athletes. As our kids grow bigger and stronger, larger fields are necessary. The final phase of the complex will include two baseball fields made out of synthetic grass that can be used as multi-purpose space for volleyball, soccer and other activities, as well as a walking trail that will circle the complex.
With the help of our Challenger friends like you this dream will come true. For more information on becoming a sponsor, making a donation to complete construction or to rent the facility, contact Michelle Ford at 816.360.3304 or complete the form below.