Kirk Family YMCA
Construction on the new Kirk Family YMCA has begun! History takes center stage as we transform the historic Lyric Theatre building into a new Y that will revitalize the core of downtown with life-strengthening programs for all ages.
Construction Kickoff Celebration
Thank you to all who joined us November 16, 2018, to celebrate the beginning of construction on the new Kirk Family YMCA.
Donors, volunteers, members and the community gathered for a celebration on the front steps of the historic Lyric building. A short program emceed by Lara Moritz from KMBC 9 News included remarks from Y leaders, city officials and partners on the project.
David Byrd, President and CEO, spoke of the impact the new Y will have in the community. He said the dream for the new Y is that it will be “a place for people to come together from across the downtown community.”
For a Better
The new Y will provide a nurturing environment to help all ages improve their well-being, learn new skills and reach their fullest potential, including:
- Evidence-based programs to prevent and manage chronic diseases such as diabetes, arthritis, cancer and heart disease
- Swim lessons to help eliminate drowning in our community
- Youth programs to educate and build confidence from sports to volunteer activities and leadership development opportunities for teens
- Family programs such as Kids Night Out and seasonal events, as well as Kids Zone where kids can play while parents explore their own interests
- Volunteer opportunities to give back and help make our downtown community stronger
- Healthy living activities, from nutrition and cooking classes to exercise
- Community space for meetings, social gatherings and celebrations
The 62,000 square-foot community center includes 42,000 square feet of new construction and a 20,000 square-foot renovation of the historic Lyric Theatre building.
- Three community meeting rooms
- Medical partner space for Truman Medical Center's University Health Clinic
- Instructional kitchen
- Healthy cafe
- Lap pool
- Recreation pool
- Kids Zone
- Cardio and strength training equipment
- Walking/jogging track
- Three group exercise rooms
- Outdoor green space for youth sports and other activities
Kirk Family YMCA
Learn more about the redevelopment of the 92-year-old Lyric building and how it will bring healthy living, youth and community programs to downtown Kansas City.