Downtown YMCA/Kirk Family Community Center
Construction on the new Downtown YMCA/Kirk Family Community Center has begun! History takes center stage as we transform the historic Lyric Theatre building into a new Y that will revitalize the core of downtown with life-strengthening programs for all ages.
Construction Kickoff Celebration
Thank you to all who joined us November 16, 2018, to celebrate the beginning of construction on the new Downtown YMCA/Kirk Family Community Center.
Donors, volunteers, members and the community gathered for a celebration on the front steps of the historic Lyric building. A short program emceed by Lara Moritz from KMBC 9 News included remarks from Y leaders, city officials and partners on the project.
David Byrd, President and CEO, spoke of the impact the new Y will have in the community. He said the dream for the new Y is that it will be “a place for people to come together from across the downtown community.”
For a Better
The new Y will provide a nurturing environment to help all ages improve their well-being, learn new skills and reach their fullest potential, including:
- Evidence-based programs to prevent and manage chronic diseases such as diabetes, arthritis, cancer and heart disease
- Swim lessons to help eliminate drowning in our community
- Youth programs to educate and build confidence from sports to volunteer activities and leadership development opportunities for teens
- Family programs such as Kids Night Out and seasonal events, as well as Kids Zone where kids can play while parents explore their own interests
- Volunteer opportunities to give back and help make our downtown community stronger
- Healthy living activities, from nutrition and cooking classes to exercise
- Community space for meetings, social gatherings and celebrations
The 62,000 square-foot community center includes 42,000 square feet of new construction and a 20,000 square-foot renovation of the historic Lyric Theatre building.
- Three community meeting rooms
- Medical partner space for Truman Medical Center's University Health Clinic
- Instructional kitchen
- Healthy cafe
- Lap pool
- Recreation pool
- Kids Zone
- Cardio and strength training equipment
- Walking/jogging track
- Three group exercise rooms
- Outdoor green space for youth sports and other activities
The Downtown YMCA/Kirk Family Community Center
Learn more about the redevelopment of the 92-year-old Lyric building and how it will bring healthy living, youth and community programs to downtown Kansas City.