We have a talented team ready to make this summer the best summer ever.
Our camp staff are selected for their talent, enthusiasm, and ability to connect with youth. They are trained to provide leadership, mentor youth, and maintain a positive and safe environment.
Our associates come from various backgrounds, from teachers to student leaders to everything in between. All share a dedication to strengthening the community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
To Health and Safety
It has been our privilege to offer essential child care to first responders, healthcare workers and other frontline employees during the COVID-19 health crisis. And we're taking what we've learned to be able to provide a safe summer day camp experience.
All YMCA Summer Camp operational protocols will be in alignment with school district, local, state and national health guidelines.
As our area transitions through phased reopening, the YMCA will follow safety measures included in each phase. This will include:
- Daily temperature checks for youth and YMCA staff
- Daily wellness questionnaire for youth and YMCA staff
- Face coverings for YMCA staff
- Mandatory hygiene and cleaning breaks
In addition, to ensure the health and safety of campers, all camp staff are trained in:
- First Aid
- Recognition of illnesses
- Signs and symptoms of abuse
- Risk management
In fact, for our extensive risk management efforts, we have achieved accreditation from Praesidium, our risk management group.
We take ratios seriously to support our campers. State laws require we keep a 1 to 15 staff to camper ratio. We do even better than that on field trips, with a staff ratio of 1 to 10. When we go swimming, our ratio is at least 1 to 8, usually even stronger.
We have several processes in place to maintain safety on field trips.
- Taking all of our campers' Emergency Information Packets with us on field trips.
- Taking attendance frequently, checking names and faces.
- Active staff involvement on swimming field trips, including some staff will be in the water interacting with campers, some monitoring the children from the pool deck, and helping the children apply sunblock before we leave for the pool and about every hour while we are at the pool.
- Checking restrooms before any children use a public restroom. We monitor who goes in and out of the restroom while our campers are using it.
- Making sure a staff member is always present with children. Children never go anywhere unattended.
- Taking frequent water breaks to ensure campers stay hydrated on hot summer days.
Be a Part of Our Team
Y summer day camps are full of learning, adventure, active play and friendship. We're looking for leaders to help kids have the Best Summer Ever. View and apply online now for positions at summer day camp and our SPARK! summer learning programs.