Awaken Summer Imagination at Healthy Kids Day
On Saturday, April 21, many YMCA of Greater Kansas City locations will hold free community events to inspire more kids to keep their minds and bodies active at the annual YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day®, the Y’s national initiative to improve health and well-being for kids and families. Healthy Kids Day is an opportunity to ignite children’s imaginations so that they can imagine what they’ll accomplish this summer. The day-long event features activities such as games, health fairs, games, dancing, face painting, swimming and snacks to motivate and teach families how to develop and maintain healthy routines at home throughout the summer months.
Healthy Kids Day, celebrated at over 1,500 Ys across the country by over 1.2 million participants, works to get more kids moving and learning, creating habits that they continue all summer long. When kids are out of school, they can face hurdles that prevent them from reaching their full potential. Research shows that without access to out-of-school learning activities, kids fall behind academically. Kids also gain weight twice as fast during summer than the school year. As spring turns to summer, Healthy Kids Day is a powerful reminder not to let children idle away their summer days. Instead, the Y wants families to focus on helping children imagine what they can accomplish over the summer.
When a child is healthy, happy, and supported they can make great things happen. The Y believes in the potential of all children, and strives to help kids find that potential within themselves. A child’s development is never on vacation and Healthy Kids Day is a great opportunity to educate families and motivate kids to stay active in spirit, mind and body throughout the summer.
Events will be held at the following times:
- Atchison YMCA/Cray Community Center - Friday, April 20, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Blue Springs Family YMCA - Saturday, April 21, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Cleaver Family YMCA - Saturday, April 21, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Linwood YMCA/James B. Nutter, Sr. Community Center - Saturday, April 21, 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
- North Kansas City YMCA - Saturday, April 21, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Olathe Family YMCA - Sunday, April 29, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at Olathe Medical Center
- Paul Henson Family YMCA - Saturday, April 21, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Platte County Community Center North (Platte City) - Saturday, April 21, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Platte County Community Center South (Parkville) - Saturday, April 21, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Providence YMCA/Ball Family Center - Saturday, April 21, 12-2 p.m.
- Red Bridge Family YMCA - Saturday, April 21, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
For more information about Healthy Kids Day Events, visit the Welcome Center or call your local Y.