Learn. Grow. Thrive.
Committed to providing children ages 6 weeks-5 years with opportunities to explore and learn through developmentally appropriate activities in a safe, nurturing environment. Our YMCA Early Learning Centers provide a supportive and nurturing environment for children as young as 6 weeks to learn, grow and thrive. Our educated staff lead students through a curriculum focused on kindergarten readiness skills and incorporates the YMCA Core Values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility. Nutritious meals and snacks are provided daily.
TIME: 7 a.m.-6 p.m.
Children's Center Campus YMCA Early Learning Center is conveniently located downtown at 31st and Main.
3101 Main Street
Kansas City, MO 64111
Children's Center Campus
Children's Center Campus YMCA Early Learning Center also includes the following learning and development elements:
- On-site pool allows for recreational swimming and swim lessons: Recreational swimming opportunities are offered and included with enrollment. For an additional and discounted fee, your child may also participate in swim lessons. With a focus on basic water movement and safety, Preschool Swim Lessons provide children ages 3 to 5 years the opportunity to build swim skills and confidence in the water at an early age. Instructors certified through YMCA of the USA teach children body position, arm movements, kicking, floating and breathing in a fun atmosphere.
- Private Outdoor Playground: CCC’s playground is in the center of the building, thus allowing for an even safer and more secure environment.
- Indoor gym play area: For the days where playtime outdoors isn’t possible, there’s a large play area with toys, scooters, playhouse, ball pit and other playroom equipment to keep your child active.
- Cafeteria-style eating: Children eat together in a pre-school cafeteria setting, further preparing them for a school atmosphere.
- Vision and hearing screenings
- Therapeutic services from Children’s Center for the Visually Impaired (CCVI) and Children’s Therapeutic Learning Center (CTLC) if needed.
Children's Center Campus YMCA Early Learning Center features the following:
- Educated Staff trained in child development, CPR and first aid.
- Accreditation by the state of Missouri
- Kindergarten preparatory curriculum and activities:
- Creative Curriculum is used along with Galileo School Readiness Assessment, which is a rigorous, evidence-based developmental assessment process. Three areas of measurement include: language and literacy, social-emotional development and approaches to learning.
- Natural and inclusive environment for all children
- Activities that incorporate YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility
- Staff encourages discipline that encourages self-control, self-direction, responsibility and cooperation. Read more about our behavior guidance and discipline policies.
- Nutritious breakfast, lunch and snack that meet CACFP guidelines. Read more about our meals and snacks.
- Planned daily routines that introduce kindergarten readiness skills. Read more about our daily routines.
- YMCA membership and program opportunities
- Licensing by the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services
Meet the Director:
A Kansas City native, Porsha earned her Bachelor's degree in Childhood Studies and Business at Missouri Western State University.
Porsha first worked at the YMCA of Greater Kansas City from 2004-2011 and returned in 2015. Past roles at the Y include preschool site supervisor, lead teacher and Early Head Start lead teacher. She has also held roles at the American Red Cross, Boys and Girls Club of Greater Kansas City and the Children's Defense Fund. She became the director of Children's Center Campus in January of 2016. She is CPR, First Aid and Medication certified and holds a Director's certification in Missouri and Kansas.
Porsha enjoys connecting with young children through her work. She is passionate about continuing to learn within the field of early education and sharing her knowledge with staff and families. "The world of Early Education is ever evolving," Porsha said. "Staying current with developing ideas and industry improvements helps to create the highest quality child care experience." She describes herself as an avid reader and enjoys supporting live theater, live music and the Kansas city culinary scene.