New Atchison Family YMCA/Cray Community Center Opens
The new Atchison Family YMCA/Cray Community Center celebrates the completion of its renovation and expansion with a grand opening on Wednesday, December 6. Donors, members, volunteers and the community will gather at 11:30 a.m. in the gym of the new building for a ribbon cutting ceremony to celebrate the new center.
The new center will allow the growth of important programs to improve quality of life, such as health screenings, nutrition classes, wellness and fitness programs, community events, youth activities, and more.
The current Atchison YMCA facility has served the community well for decades but had become outdated for today’s programs and didn't provide enough space for members and program participants.
The Y raised $11.3 million to fund construction of the 30,000-square-foot building. It's named the Atchison Family YMCA/Cray Community Center in honor of Cloud L. “Bud” Cray, Jr. and his family. He was honorary chair of the capital campaign for this new Y, and he and multiple generations of his family have been longtime Y donors and volunteers.
Top donors include: Courtney S. Turner Charitable Trust, John H. Mize Jr. and Tony Twyman, representing Bank of America, N.A., Trustees; Cloud L. Cray Jr. and Sara J. Cray Foundation; Mabee Foundation Inc.; MGP Ingredients, Inc.; Atchison Hospital; Guy I. Bromley Charitable Trust; Ladd and Karen Seaberg; Berger Family; Cloud L. Cray Foundation; Adair/Exchange Bank Foundation; Evah C. Cray Residuary Charitable Trust; Jim and Zibbie Ferrell; Blish-Mize Co.; City of Atchison; Atchison County; Atchison County; Bank of Atchison; Muchnic Foundation, Inc.; Union Pacific Foundation; and Larry and Tresa Buessing.
The new building features:
- A community room for meetings, celebrations and other activities.
- A teaching kitchen for activities such as healthy cooking demonstrations and classes.
- A gym including an upper-level walking track to provide space for activities that promote healthy living as well as youth and adult sports.
- A new therapy pool adjacent to existing pool to be used by the Y and Atchison Hospital to provide aquatic physical therapy for patients.
- A renovated indoor swimming pool to provide life-saving swim lessons and recreational opportunities.
- An expanded health and wellness center in which people can improve their well-being through cardiovascular exercise and strength training.
- A new lobby and lounge to offer welcoming and comfortable spaces for members to visit, friends to meet and parents to spend time while their children participate in activities.
- A multi-purpose studio for group exercise, dance, music, arts, and other social and educational activities.
- A new Kids Zone to provide a safe and fun place for kids to learn and play.
Construction partners include J.E. Dunn, HOK, Henderson Engineers Inc., Waters Edge Aquatic Design, PSI, Taliaferro & Brown Inc., Anderson Survey, Marlatt Construction Co. Inc., Leigh & O’Kane, Marlatt Construction, and MC Realty Group.
Financing partners include Enterprise Bank, Enterprise Financial CDE, SunTrust Bank, SunTrust Community Capital, Exchange Bank and Columbia Capital Management.
The Y has been an important part of the Atchison community since 1872. The original building opened in 1913. An expansion to the east included a pool that opened in 1982.
For the latest renovation and expansion, the Y renovated the 1982 pool and acquired property on the rest of the block to the east. The new Y will be able to serve double the number of people served now.
“I’m so proud to have this beautiful new facility in Atchison to be able to serve many generations to come,” said Rick Berger, chair of the capital campaign for the new Y and a member of the YMCA of Greater Kansas City Board of Directors. “We are so grateful to all of those who have supported the project to make our community stronger.”
The project also helps support the “Live Well, Live Atchison” collaborative working to make Atchison County one of the healthiest in Kansas and to improve quality of life. The new Atchison Family YMCA/Cray Community Cetner will provide space to offer more resources to help our community grow healthier in body, mind and spirit through exercise, education on healthy lifestyles, and a safe and positive environment to connect with others.
For more information on how to get involved, contact Lorin Affield, executive director of the Atchison Family YMCA, at 913.367.4948.