Welcome All Neighbors During National Welcoming Week September 15-24
National Welcoming Week, September 15-24, celebrates the growing movement of inclusive communities that fully embrace New Americans and their contributions to the social fabric of our country.
Created by Y-USA’s national partner, Welcoming America, this unique annual celebration brings together thousands of people with hundreds of local events that observe and praise the contributions of immigrants and refugees and the role communities play in fostering a greater welcome.
With more than 42 million foreign-born individuals currently living in the U.S.—more than at any other point in history—it is imperative for the well-being of our communities that all neighbors have opportunities to engage, build mutual understanding and work together to create positive social progress for all.
Welcoming Week is a fantastic expression of the Y’s cause to strengthen community by celebrating diversity and fostering social cohesion by building bridges between new Americans and their neighbors.
During Welcoming Week, Ys across Kansas City will host numerous activities and events to bring together our communities. Our goal is to bring together immigrants and U.S.-born residents to promote cross-cultural understanding and raise awareness of the benefits of welcoming everyone. Click on any center name to be taken to their calendar for more information.
- 8th Street Family YMCA - Cultural Mingle
- Blue Springs Family YMCA - Cultural Bundles, World Culture Map, and more
- Cleaver YMCA - ReHope Market event
- Linwood YMCA/James B. Nutter, Sr. Community Center - Let's Move All Around the World Event
- North Kansas City YMCA - Immigrant Mingle, Block Party, Different Faces of Your Y gallery and more
- Paul Henson Family YMCA - Sunflower Cultural Fusion Festival and more
- Platte County Community Center North - Cooking from Around the World, and more
- Platte County Community Center South - Togetherhood Poverty Summit
- Providence YMCA / Ball Family Center - Open House and more
- Red Bridge Family YMCA - Ancestry map, What is Culture? activity, service project and more
For more information on Welcoming America, click here.