Thank the Volunteers in Your Life During National Volunteer Week
The YMCA of Great Kansas City is encouraging community members to use National Volunteer Week (April 15-21, 2018) to take a moment and thank the volunteers in their lives.
“Volunteers are the heart and soul of our organization—without their hard work and dedication, we couldn’t do the work we do every day to help kids, families and communities thrive,” said David Byrd, president and CEO of the YMCA of Greater Kansas City. “By bringing people together from all walks of life around a shared purpose to do good, the Y is creating a stronger, more cohesive community.”
As one of the leading nonprofits and volunteer organizations in the country, nearly 600,000 people volunteer at the Y each year. Here in Kansas City, more than 3,500 give back at the Y through activities such as mentoring teens, coaching youth sports, serving on our boards and spearheading fundraising drives. These opportunities also help volunteers enhance their personal well-being and develop meaningful relationships—all while making an impact in communities they care about.
Locally, Y volunteers help pack and serve more than 6,000 meals a month in our food programs at many of our Y locations and program sites. Many more opportunities exist for others to help make a difference.
National Volunteer Week is a great time to get involved and give back. Here are five ways you can take an active role at the Y and in your community:
- Join us on April 28 for a Togetherhood Project to help the Cleaver Family YMCA host a gently used clothing sale with Rehope Market.
- Help with Y fundraising efforts to ensure those in need can access essential programs and services to reach their full potential.
- Get involved with our Y’s weekend food program and help serve breakfast on Saturdays at our Providence YMCA/Ball Family Center in Kansas City, KS.
- Tutor individual students and small groups to help them achieve their summer reading and writing goals. All grade levels need volunteers.
- Invite friends and neighbors to join you in contributing to a stronger community.