Forever Welcoming: Join Us to Support New Americans Welcome Center at NKC YMCA
Join us during Welcoming Week for a luncheon highlighting the work of the New Americans Welcome Center (NAWC) at the North Kansas City YMCA and how it’s part of the Y’s efforts to create an equitable community where all can thrive. We'll also be hosting naturalization ceremonies that will welcome more than 300 new American citizens.
Friday, September 17, 2021
11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
1 Riverboat Drive
North Kansas City, MO 64116
The NAWC is one of several across the country designed to help immigrants fully integrate into American society and prepare receiving communities to be welcoming and inclusive. In the metro, seven percent of residents are immigrants.
Proceeds from the event will help make the Y accessible to all, support resources for new Americans, provide programs that build stronger individuals and support food distribution programs to fight food insecurity.
This informative and transformational event includes:
- Naturalization ceremonies that will welcome 300 new American citizens
- COVID vaccinations for the New Americans provided by North Kansas City Hospital
- Voter registration for new Americans completing the naturalization ceremony
- Lunch featuring foods from many cultures
- Local and national guest speakers including Toni Kayumi, CEO Ann Arbor YMCA; Rodrigua Ross, Vice President of Diversity and Inclusion at the YMCA of Metropolitan Dallas; and Justine Gelbolinga, local youth activist
- HUGO Latin Movement Latin Dance
Tickets and Sponsorship
Individual tickets and sponsorship opportunities are available.
For more information about sponsorship opportunities, please call 816.300.0531 or email NKC@KansasCityYMCA.org.
Thank you to Belonging Sponsors:
This event has been made possible thanks to our generous sponsors. We couldn’t do it without you.
- Arkema Inc.
- Jeffrey Y. Bennett Law
- Law Office of Jessica Piedra
- Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce
- North Kansas City Business Council
- Synergy Services
- Clay County Public Health Center
- Robin Winner and Friends
- Tico Sports
- Letts Van Kirk
- Reese Nichols
- Jan Kauk and Friends
- Tri County Mental Health
- Andrea Allison-Putman
About the New Americans Welcome Center and Outreach at the Y
The YMCA’s NAWCs help immigrants—also referred to as newcomers—integrate into American society and help communities be welcoming and inclusive. This is achieved through a combination of integration services, collaborations with community leaders and businesses, and strategies to connect and build cross-cultural understanding between immigrants and U.S.-born residents.
Through the NAWC and other efforts, the North Kansas City YMCA has:
- Organized more than 20 regional bridge-building and welcoming week events
- Helped more than 50 people graduate from the English as a Second Language program
- Helped immigrants pursue their dreams of becoming American citizens including hosting a naturalization ceremonies
- Supported new Americans and others in our community through food distribution programs, helping to prevent hunger for those unsure of where their next meal will come from. So far in 2021, the North Kansas City YMCA has distributed 125,594 pounds of food to a total of 9,978 individuals to help fight hunger.
- Promoted inclusion, dignity and equality throughout all of our programs
Your support of this event helps continue these much needed programs and services to create a stronger community where all can thrive.